Quanser Magnetic Levitation
The Quanser Magnetic Levitation device is a single degree of freedom electromagnet-based system that allows users to levitate a ball vertically up and down. The overhead electromagnet generates an attractive force on the metal ball that initially sits on the post. The position of the ball is measured using a photo-sensitive sensor embedded inside the post. The system also includes a current sensor to measure the current inside the electromagnet’s coil.
Basic technical parameters:
- Dimensions: 15.1 x 15.1 x 27.6 cm, 3.8 kg
- photosensor sensitivity: 0.28 cm/V
- coil core radius: 0.8 cm
- electromagnet force constant: 6.53 x 10-5 N.m² / A²
- compatible with NI LabView and Matlab/Simulnik
- comprehensive educational materials included
- Open architecture allows users to create their own control algorithms.